Ever since the release of iOS 6 for the iPhone in late September last year, people had been itching for the subsequent jailbreak. While the untethered jailbreak was released on Super Bowl Sunday this past February 3rd, many others couldn't wait and jailbroke their iPhones with a tethered version from Redsn0w.
Tethered jailbreaks are a hassle because every time you reboot your device (which can occur daily when installing tweaks), you have to use a computer to activate the device again.
If you have a tethered version on your iPhone 4, 4S, 3GS, or iPod touch 4th gen, and want to convert to an untethered version, you now can with the help of Cydia and evasi0n.
To begin the untethering process, you'll need to:
- Open Cydia on your device and tap on Search.
- Search for evasi0n and install the evasion 6.x Untether package.
- When finished installing, reboot/respring your device.
- You should now be untethered.
Your device should reboot completely untethered, allowing you to now reboot your device without having to be connected to a computer. If there are any issues with your applications not working 100% or your weather app is crashing:
- Open Cydia, go to Changes and install the new UIKit Tools update, or...
- Search Cydia for UIKit Tools and install.