Though only just released, the official Skype client for Android has already been unlocked. Thanks to xeudoxus of DroidForums.net, American Android users may now do what their European counterparts have been able to do all along: make free Skype-to-Skype voice calls over 3G.
Want to try the unlocked Skype app for yourself? Condensed instructions follow below.
Step 1 Enable side-loading on your Android.
- Click on Settings, then Applications.
- Ensure Unknown sources is checked.
Step 2 Download & install the modified Skype.apk.
- Return to your Android's Home Screen.
- Launch your web browser & direct it to http://bit.ly/bel25z.
- Download the modified Skype.apk file and, when prompted by your phone, install it.