The iPhone and iPod touch are nearly identical devices, especially now that Apple has added a front-facing camera to the iPod touch. All that's missing is the phone part. With the help of Lifehacker and apps like Skype and Line2, you can save some money by turning your iPod Touch into an iPhone, without the need to jailbreak.
Click through to Lifehacker for the full tutorial.
- An iPod touch - Lifehacker's guide uses the latest (4G) hardware, but in most cases their guide is applicable to any iPod touch.
- A VoIP App - There are additional options other than Skype and Line2.
- A Constant Wi-Fi Connection - The only issue you may have is outside your home, when the WiFi connection isn't necessarily reliable.
- Extra: An iPod-compatible Headset - Unless you plan on using speakerphone, a headset is necessary.
- As amazing as it sounds, be sure to weigh in the pros and cons.
Keep Your Connection Secure Without a Monthly Bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix without regional restrictions, increase security when browsing on public networks, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out: